Why in news?
The government may revive the Seeds Bill that seeks to regulate seeds and plant material to ensure quality, increase private participation in production and distribution, liberalise imports while incorporating measures to protect rights of farmers.
What is the amended Seed bill?
- The proposed Bill is expected to give a major boost to agricultural growth.
- its early passage with the proposed amendments is quintessential for doubling farmers’ income.
- it will bring in competition among players and promote healthy crops.
What is the requirement under the new bill?
- The Bill requires every seller of seeds (including farmers) to meet certain minimum standards.
- The Bill replaces the Seeds Act, 1966.
- Under the new Bill, all varieties of seeds for sale have to be registered.
- If a registered variety of seed fails to perform up to expected standards, the farmer can claim compensation from the producer or dealer.
- A compensation committee shall hear and decide these cases.
- The Bill also provides for an appellate mechanism to be set up by notification.
- The Bill also exempts farmers from the requirement of compulsory registration while prescribing huge penalty for contravening any provision of the Act for those selling misbranded or substandard seeds.
(Prelims 2014 )
In the context of food and nutritional security of India, enhancing the ‘Seed Replacement Rates’ of various crops helps in achieving the food production targets of the future. But what is/are the constraint/ constraints in its wider/ greater implementation?
1. There is no National Seeds Policy in place.
2. There is no participation of private sector seed companies in the supply of quality seeds of vegetables and planting materials of horticultural crops.
3. There is a demand-supply gap regarding quality seeds in case of low value and high volume crops. Select the correct answer using the code given below.
(a) 1 and 2 (b) 3 only (c) 2 and 3 (d) None
Yet To Join any Test Series for Prelims or Joined but not attempting due to time shortage ?
Join Our Online Prelims Test Series : @ Rs 990 : http://imojo.in/test_series_2017
Please follow and like us: