Pradhan Mantri Khanij Kshetra Kalyan Yojana (PMKKKY) is meant for the welfare of areas and people affected by mining related operations, using the funds generated by District Mineral Foundations (DMFs).
The Mines and Minerals (Development & Regulation) Amendment Act, 2015, mandated the setting up of District Mineral Foundations (DMFs) in all districts in the country affected by mining related operations.
The objective of PMKKKY scheme:
- to implement various developmental and welfare programmes in mining affected areas
- the projects will complement the existing ongoing schemes of State and Central Government
- to minimize the adverse impacts, during and after mining, on the environment, health and socio-economics of people in mining districts
- to ensure long-term sustainable livelihoods for the affected people in mining areas.
- Care has been taken to include all aspects of living, to ensure substantial improvement in the quality of life.
- High priority areas like drinking water supply, health care, sanitation, education, skill development, women and child care, welfare of aged and disabled people, skill development and environment conservation will get at least 60 % share of the funds.
- For creating a supportive and conducive living environment, balance funds will be spent on making roads, bridges, railways, waterways projects, irrigation and alternative energy sources.
How the DMFs function?
The DMFs have been directed to maintain the utmost transparency in their functioning and provide periodic reports on the various projects and schemes taken up by them.
Power related to sanctioning of fund, preparation of annual action plan and utilization of fund under DMF for the development of the areas affected by mining related operations have been delegated to DMF trust established by State Government by the name of respective district.
It is a non-profit body, with an objective to work for the interest and benefit of persons, and areas affected by mining operations.
By this scheme, the government is facilitating mainstreaming of the people from lower strata of society, tribals and forest-dwellers who are affected the most from mining activities.
Please follow and like us: